The point of note for this site is that the entrance to ‘Side Mine’ is located within the grounds. The Side Mine was opened as a show cavern between 1825-1845. The mining finished when the owner gave up his attempt to drain the workings of water.
The site that the colour works sits on, is composed of mine waste from the Side Mine, the owner erected a water wheel of 80hp, capable of raising 1000 gals per hour, this was then used to grind barytes for the paint industry, just as the industry was demanding a cheap alternative to white lead.
Holme Bank mine was opened in early 1800 and worked up to 1960.
There are many workings within the site and it is notable for the large packwalls used to support the roof after the chert beds had been removed. It later became known as Smith’s Mine after a later owner who operated the mine, they also manufactured Davie blocks on the site for building and continued to do so on site up to about 1995.
The village of Clipstone, was built on the site of Clipstone Army Camp in 1926 by the Bolsover Mining Company. It was built as a model village with the latest housing and facilities to provide accommodation and recreation for the mineworkers.
The colliery was sunk to exploit the Barnsley seam or ‘Tophard’, as it was known locally. In the 1950’s the shafts were deepened to over 1000 yards (920 m) to exploit other seams.
The colliery was closed by British Coal, as the National Coal Board had become, in 1993 and reopened by RJB Mining (now UK Coal) in April 1994, the licence to dig for coal being limited to the Yard seam which is located at a depth of 957 yards (870 m). At around 200 feet, the headstocks of the colliery are regarded as the tallest in Europe and the third tallest in the world. They are Grade 2 Listed structures and can be seen from all over the district.
The colliery was finally closed in April 2003. The local residents have called for their demolition.