Opened 1913 as the Pauper Asylum for Gateshead, it became Gateshead County Borough Mental Hospital in 1920, then St Mary’s Hospital from 1948 Closed in 1995.
The asylum was requisitioned by the military use in World War I. At the end of the war the site was returned to Gateshead, who added a nurse’s home in 1927-8 and modified the isolation hospital to form a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients.
World War II led to the development of a hutted Emergency medical services hospital to the north of the admission unit, which was also requisitioned. The end of the war brought about the creation of the NHS, under which the hospital became known as St. Mary’s – named after the Stannington parish church. The hutted emergency hospital was converted to house mental defectives.
The Asylum was built in 1852 as “Lindsey and Holland Counties and Lincoln and District Lunatic Asylum” on a slight rise in Bracebridge parish, on the high road to Sleaford.
Originally built to house 250 inmates, it was enlarged in 1859, 1866, 1881 and 1902. The asylum grounds covered 120 acres.
Through its history, the Asylum was known under many different names including “Bracebridge Heath Asylum” and “Lincolnshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum”.
Staffordshire General Lunatic Asylum opened on a 40-acre site to the north east of Stafford town centre on 1.10.1818.
The original building was designed by the County Surveyor, Joseph Potter.
It was enlarged in 1849-1850.
When Coton Hill Asylum opened in 1854 for private paying patients, the Stafford County Asylum only took ‘pauper lunatics’. The hospital was transferred to the National Health Service in 1948 and renamed St George’s Hospital.
The doors finally closed in 1995
Originally called Hill House and built pre 1760 by a Mr Hind.
In 1840 Colonel Charles Wyndham moved into the house and renamed it Wyndham Lodge.
In 1870, A Mr. William Chaplin purchased the house and preferring the location to that of the house, he had the house totally rebuilt in 1874, out of Wartnaby stone by a Mr R. Winter Johnson.
In 1920, Colonel Richard Dalgliesh of Asfordby bought the house and 15 acres of woodland and donated it as a gift to the town to become the War Memorial Hospital. It was opened by HRH Prince Henry on the 19th January 1922.
In 1948, the hospital was taken into the National Health Service.
Lincoln County Hospital was originally founded as the result of a meeting in 1768. Management was placed in the hands of a quarterly Board of Governors and a smaller weekly Board of Governors and public subscriptions were raised.
The Hospital was opened in a leased house in St Swithin’s parish in November 1769. In 1774 a site was purchased near Drury Lane for a purpose built Hospital, which was used from 1777 and subsequently expanded.
The first part of the present Hospital site was purchased in 1875, and the new Hospital on Sewell Road was opened in 1878. It is an important example of early hospital buildings, the main nucleus was designed by Alexander graham in the Hatfield house style, the low ancillary wings were added in 1891 and these were designed by William Watkins.
The hospital has continued to expand through the years and the areas here were closed around 1993.
Originally built in 1886-1888, it was designed by Hull based Benjamin S. Jacobs, an asylum specialist and built in the corridor plan. It was built in red brick, in a neo-Jacobean style, a much favoured design for public institutions and was a massive structure, grouped symmetrically around four internal courtyards. the interior consisted of large, airy dormitories and wards.
The main buildings were an administration block to the north (the main entrance) and on the south side, most of the wards, which were positioned so as to catch the sun at some time of each day, facing only east, south or west.
The more elaborate central block was built in darker brickwork and housed the assembly hall, with a chapel above it, which boasted a fine, open steelwork, trussed roof. Extensions were added in 1891, 1901 and 1902 to cope with the increasing population of the area. A new bakehouse was built in 1908 and in 1915 further extensions were added.
There was a model farm on the site where selected patients could work in order to endow their lives with some purpose. After the war, in 1948, the hospital and associated buildings passed to the NHS, which made further additions, half the farm buildings were demolished leaving the rest for storage.
The hospital finally closed in 2009.
The hospital first opened its doors in 1869 to provide a place for patients who had been treated at Leeds General Infirmary to continue their recovery.
Over the years the convalescent hospital was gradually extended, and during the First World War the building was requisitioned to care for wounded servicemen, resuming its civilian role after 1919.
In 1939 it was taken over by the Government and briefly housed the Leeds Maternity Hospital. In 1949 was acquired by the Leeds Regional Hospital board and began to concentrate on the treatment of cancer experimenting with radium, it was developed as a regional radiotherapy centre using the latest technology a number of new buildings were constructed on the site during the 1950s and 1960s.
The hospital finally closed around 2008.
Also known as Barnes Convalescent Home, whilst the hospital was constructed in a rural setting, it is now surrounded by roads.
The main building is Grade II listed, and lies on green belt land. A donation of 26,000 pounds for the founding of a new convalescent hospital was made in 1869 by Robert Barnes. Construction of the hospital, started in 1871 and was completed in 1875. It was constructed of bricks, the clay for which was provided locally.
During World War II the hospital was used as a convalescent home for wounded soldiers.
The main use for the hospital in its later life was for geriatric care and stroke patients. It closed in September 1999.
The hospital was sold in 2001. The hospital temporarily housed a large group of Kosovan refugees following its closure
Aston Hall Hospital.
Aston Hall Hospital sits in the scenic village of Aston-On-Trent in Derby, the hospital dates back to the 1930s and stretches over 3.2 acres. The hospital was purchased by the Nottingham Corporation in 1924 as part of the old Aston Hall estate, since the hospitals conception it has always dealt with patients suffering from mental health problems and learning disabilities. Each of the ‘houses’ could house up to 50 patients but in later years this capacity dropped as patients where transferred to other hospitals in the area.
Aston Hall boasted a one of a kind leisure centre within its grounds and was the only hospital in South Derbyshire to house a hydrotherapy pool.
In 1998 it was announced that the hospital would close amid fierce opposition from local residents who wanted it to remain open and to continue caring for its then 58 resident patients.
The ‘village’ as locals called it, finally closed its doors in 2004.