Tag Archives: buildings

Sheffield Old Town Hall

The original bulding was built in 1807 by Charles Watson to replace the first town hall that had little scope for extension.

The hall housed the Town Trustees and the Quarter and Petty Sessions, it was a five bay structure opening out onto Castle Street.

In 1833 and 1866 it underwent extensions by William Flockton and included a clock tower that was built over the new main entrance which orientated the entrance onto Waingate, at this time, the courtrooms were linked by underground passages to the police station.

The building underwent a further extension in 1896-97, by the renamed Flockton, Gibbs & Flockton, and became Sheffield Crown Court and Sheffield High Court. In the 1990s, these courts moved to new premises, and since at least 1997 the building has been left unused.

In 2007, it was named by the Victorian Society as one of their top ten buildings most at-risk.

Rutland Cutlery

Rutland cutlery, who was part of the Osbourne Tableware Group, was a blade grinding and polishing company located in Sheffield south Yorkshire.

It was due to celebrate 300 years of trading in late 2009 but was unexpectedly put into receivership in January 2009.

Six months earlier it was acquired by two local businessmen who had ambitious plans to put the company (better known as Nickel Blanks) back on its feet bringing all of its five subsidiaries together under one roof at Meadowhall Sheffield.

The site you see here was the Rutland Cutlery side of the group.

Redmires Water Treatment Plant

Built in 1950, the original water treatment plant supplied water to the south western outer reaches of Sheffield, through Ringinglow and Rud Hill service reservoirs.

It consisted of 7 horizontal pressure filters, capable of an average output of 16,000 cubic metres a day, with a maximum of 18,400 cubic metres a day.

In 1983 a 15,000 cubic metre clear water tank was added.

In 1986 the water was found to contain excessive iron and aluminium levels and by April 1988 a new Sirofloc process was in operation, it was the first of its kind outside of Australia. The new plant represented a major advancement in the development of a new type of treatment process for drinking water.

Record Marples

The earliest recorded (so far) mention of ‘Marples’ is about the 1540’s, in Baslow, Derbyshire.

There the family stayed until about 1750, when they moved to Sheffield.

The years 1772 & 1774 saw the birth of two sons, William & Robert, both of whom were listed as Joiners tool makers. William’s son, William (b. 1809) was most likely the founder of the firm William Marples & Sons (also joined by George Marples), later becoming Record Marples. The other son Robert (b. 1801), produced the first of the long line of Joseph Marples (b. 1801). This Joseph being the founder of our company in 1840. During this period there were no less than seven Marples’ companies operating out of Sheffield, all somehow being related.

RAF Upwood

RAF Upwood opened as an airfield in 1917 by the Royal Flying Corps. Originally used as a night-landing ground, by 1918 five hangars had been built and the centre became a training station.

At the end of World War I the airfield was cleared but in 1934 RAF Upwood was reactivated and expanded to deal with the increasing threat posed by the German Luftwaffe. The new base became operational in February 1937, housing two flying units. These original squadrons were reassigned in 1939 and replaced by No.90 and No.35 Squadron. Neither squadron saw combat and they were merged as No.17 Training Unit. When this unit departed Upwood in 1943, the grassed runways were replaced with three concrete runways. The base re-opened in October 1943 and between 1944 and 1945 was used by No.139 and No.156 Squadrons.Their Mosquitos and Lancasters saw action in Germany, dropping target indicators over Berlin and bombing Stuttgart. The base housed several bomber units during the 1940’s and 1950’s, some of which took part in the Suez crisis.

In 1961 Upwood was transferred to RAF Strike Command and by 1981 the base was almost dormant. Control was passed to the United States Air Force and Upwood became a satellite base of RAF Alconbury, providing housing and support for personnel. In 1986 a multi-million dollar medical facility was opened, delivering outpatient services to American military members in the area. The end of the Cold War saw a phased rundown of RAF Alconbury and in 2005 the last USAF family moved out of the Upwood housing area.

As of 2009 there are plans to regenerate the area into housing and light industry.

RAF Driffield

The first aerodrome to occupy the site was made up of wooden and brick buildings, known as Eastburn, No.21 Training Depot was the first unit to occupy the site from July 15, 1918, joined later by Nos. 202 and 217 Squadrons from March 1919. However, by early 1920, these units had disbanded, leaving a deserted airfield, which was removed some years later.

During the early 1930’s, Driffield was selected for one of the RAF’s expansion scheme aerodromes, with construction work beginning in 1935. This new airfield consisted of five large aircraft hangars, curved round the grass runways. Placed neatly behind these hangars were the many buildings that made up the camp. Opened in July 1936, RAF Driffield became home to a number of bomber squadrons. By 1938, these had been replaced by No.77 and No.102 Squadrons, and were eventually equipped with the twin-engine Armstrong Whitworth Whitley bomber.

At the outbreak of WW2 the No102 squadron dropped parcels of propaganda leaflets over France and the following night No 77 squadron did the same. March 1940 saw No 77 squadron drop some 6 million leaflets over Warsaw. August 1940 saw an attack by 50 Junkers Ju 88 Bombers which caused extensive damage and 13 deaths. The aerodrome was closed for repairs until early 1941 when fighters replaced the bombers, then late 1941 the bombers returned.

In 1943 the site was closed again this time for the construction of 3 concrete runways then reopened with bombers. In 1977 the airfield and camp was taken over by the British Army who renamed it Alamein Barracks and used as an Army driving school. By the early 1980s, the control tower and air-raid shelters disappeared, while the hangars that protected aircraft for many years were converted to protect Government surplus grain from the elements. In 1992, the RAF regained ownership of this historic aerodrome, naming it: RAF Staxton Wold-Driffield Site. Once again, the RAF ensign flew over Driffield, but not for long.

In 1996, the RAF itself transferred its own personnel and facilities to RAF Staxton Wold, thus bringing an end to 60 years of service. On June 28, 1996, the RAF ensign was lowered for the last time, bringing to an end RAF Driffield.

Melton War Memorial

Originally called Hill House and built pre 1760 by a Mr Hind.

In 1840 Colonel Charles Wyndham moved into the house and renamed it Wyndham Lodge.

In 1870, A Mr. William Chaplin purchased the house and preferring the location to that of the house, he had the house totally rebuilt in 1874, out of Wartnaby stone by a Mr R. Winter Johnson.

In 1920, Colonel Richard Dalgliesh of Asfordby bought the house and 15 acres of woodland and donated it as a gift to the town to become the War Memorial Hospital. It was opened by HRH Prince Henry on the 19th January 1922.

In 1948, the hospital was taken into the National Health Service.

Low Bradfield Water Treatment Works

Built in 1950, the original water treatment plant supplied water to the south western outer reaches of Sheffield, through Ringinglow and Rud Hill service reservoirs.

It consisted of 7 horizontal pressure filters, capable of an average output of 16,000 cubic metres a day, with a maximum of 18,400 cubic metres a day. In 1983 a 15,000 cubic metre clear water tank was added.

In 1986 the water was found to contain excessive iron and aluminium levels and by April 1988 a new Sirofloc process was in operation, it was the first of its kind outside of Australia. The new plant represented a major advancement in the development of a new type of treatment process for drinking water.

Lincoln County Hospital

Lincoln County Hospital was originally founded as the result of a meeting in 1768. Management was placed in the hands of a quarterly Board of Governors and a smaller weekly Board of Governors and public subscriptions were raised.

The Hospital was opened in a leased house in St Swithin’s parish in November 1769. In 1774 a site was purchased near Drury Lane for a purpose built Hospital, which was used from 1777 and subsequently expanded.

The first part of the present Hospital site was purchased in 1875, and the new Hospital on Sewell Road was opened in 1878. It is an important example of early hospital buildings, the main nucleus was designed by Alexander graham in the Hatfield house style, the low ancillary wings were added in 1891 and these were designed by William Watkins.

The hospital has continued to expand through the years and the areas here were closed around 1993.

Lincoln Castings

An iron foundry in North Hykeham, with a production capacity of approximately 80,000 tonnes of castings annually, they manufactured high quality iron casting components in nodular and grey iron for the international automotive, tractor and construction machinery industries.

The furnaces burnt coke to melt iron but as coke is a fossil fuel, Lincoln Castings hit upon a solution, the company developed a unique method of using waste tyres to supplement coke in the foundry. The furnace then operated with a mixture of 25% tyres and 75% coke, equating to more than one-third of a million waste tyres being controllably burned annually. The tyres were sourced within Lincolnshire and the sophisticated gas cleaning plant ensured that emissions to the atmosphere were unaffected.

Lincoln Castings pioneering project helped the environment on many levels: reducing the quantity of coke required, reducing the transport of coke, dealing with the problem of waste tyres, and the resulting cost savings help secure local jobs for the future. This last statement is a bit ironic, because in February 2007 the plant closed.