Staffordshire General Lunatic Asylum opened on a 40-acre site to the north east of Stafford town centre on 1.10.1818.
The original building was designed by the County Surveyor, Joseph Potter.
It was enlarged in 1849-1850.
When Coton Hill Asylum opened in 1854 for private paying patients, the Stafford County Asylum only took ‘pauper lunatics’. The hospital was transferred to the National Health Service in 1948 and renamed St George’s Hospital.
The doors finally closed in 1995