The School was opened in August 1857, it was designed by Decimus Burton, famous for building parts of the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew and London Zoo.
The entrance porch and bell-tower formed the northern end of the building. To the rear were Cloisters, still in existence, looking out onto playing fields. At the time of opening there were 120 pupils with accommodation for 20 boarders.
As the school expanded over the next century, new buildings were added: a two-storey extension to the north of the bell-tower, a new block (1926), a fine assembly hall (1937) and eventually a gymnasium, a science block and an art and craft block.
The school finally closed in 2005.
For more information on the everyday life in the school please visit: www.eyemead.com