The school was designed by J. M. Bottomley and G. T. Wellburn of Leeds and built in 1910. It was built in an Edwardian Baroque style, in an English cross bond utilising red brick and with white faience dressings.
In 1935 the building was altered to a design by T Sydney Athron and E Vincent Dyson, first floors were added to the two wings and the Hall was moved from the ground floor upstairs into what is known as the Waterdale Wing.
In 1971 the school amalgamated with Doncaster Grammar School and was renamed Hall Cross Comprehensive. The building here is the Waterdale location.
The school finally amalgamated with the Boy’s Grammar School to become Hall Cross Comprehensive School and finally moved to a new location. The Girls School has sat empty ever since.