The hospital first opened its doors in 1869 to provide a place for patients who had been treated at Leeds General Infirmary to continue their recovery.
Over the years the convalescent hospital was gradually extended, and during the First World War the building was requisitioned to care for wounded servicemen, resuming its civilian role after 1919.
In 1939 it was taken over by the Government and briefly housed the Leeds Maternity Hospital. In 1949 was acquired by the Leeds Regional Hospital board and began to concentrate on the treatment of cancer experimenting with radium, it was developed as a regional radiotherapy centre using the latest technology a number of new buildings were constructed on the site during the 1950s and 1960s.
The hospital finally closed around 2008.