I would first like to thank the Sisters of Camel Convent for allowing access to their home, their hospitality was very much appreciated.
Built in the early 17th Century, Cockerton Field House is believed to be over 700 years old. The Carmel Order moved here on 1830, in 1832 a new Chapel and Choir were built. In 1842 some old outhouses were taken down and a new wing containing a laundry, bakehouse and brewhouse were built, these later became the printing wing.
Future years saw Father Roby succeeded by Father James Brown and under his supervision the present Church, Choir, Sacristy and Cloisters were added. Infirmaries overlooking the Choir were also added.
Further history and information on the Carmelite Nuns can be found here:
The Vicar of Bramham, the Rev. Robert Bownas, built Bramham House in 1806.
In 1814 it was sold and the new owner gave the house to his son as a wedding present, in 1856 it was again sold to clear up large debts.
For the next 70 years it was under numerous owners. In 1947 West Riding County Council Children’s Department purchased the building and it was to become a family group home to accommodate neglected and homeless children, children from broken homes and experiencing ‘family problems and educational problems’ and those who had failed to respond to treatment for non school attendance within the community. At its height it was home to 37 children of both sexes.
The home closed in the early 1980’s and the children moved to another home in Wetherby that has since closed.
Adelphi Picture House.
The Adelphi Picture Theatre, a Grade II listed building, was designed by the architect W. C. Fenton and opened as an ‘independent’ Theatre, on the 18th of October 1920.
Built from red brick with terra-cotta enhancements to the main facade, the auditorium was built on two levels, stalls and one circle, with a seating capacity of 1,350 and a projection room at the back of the stalls.
In the late 1930’s it was subjected to some restoration and after incurring bomb damage during WW2, it was closed for a month for further restoration.
After many years being used as a bingo club, it closed again in the mid 1990’s when it was converted into a nightclub and hosted live bands up until late 2006 when the doors finally closed for the last time.