Category Archives: School

St Edwards Boys Home

Father George Vincent Hudson, founded Father Hudson’s Society, from a lowly beginning, this man sowed the seeds of a Great Midland’s Charity, which still flourishes today. He is remembered for his vision and humanity and as a man who gave his life to the care of many thousands of children in desperate need. With the growth of the factory system and the exploitation of child labour, Father Hudson feared for the children who found themselves destitute through no fault of their own, helpless, friendless and powerless. The Birmingham Diocesan Rescue Society was formally set up in 1902. Father Hudsons devotion to the children and his patience and energy guided its development, so the society became colloquially known as Father Hudson’s Homes. Father Hudson remained at Coleshill from 1898 to 1934. A network of ‘agents’ were set-up throughout the diocese to report on any cases that arose for referral to “The Homes” but in 1998 the priest in charge of the school was convicted of 18 cases of child abuse and jailed for seven years. where he was to die after serving just three years of his sentence. May be as a result of this, all the homes had closed as residential homes for children.

Pye Bank County School

Following the 1870 Education Act, the newly elected Sheffield School Board constructed 39 new schools in the city. Pye Bank School being one of them, designed by the architects Innocent and Brown and constructed in the ‘english domestic gothic’ style it was opened in 1875.

The Sheffield schools are regarded as the best surviving collection of ‘Board Schools’ outside London.

In 2003 the school was moved to a new building that was built on the former St Catherine’s RC Primary School site.

All of Innocent’s surviving Sheffield schools are Grade II Listed Buildings, however today, a significant proportion of these Victorian structures are being replaced by a brand new school building programme.

Pye Bank School stands in a prominent position on the hillside with great views across the city and there are plans to convert it into apartments.

King Edward VI Grammar School

The School was opened in August 1857, it was designed by Decimus Burton, famous for building parts of the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew and London Zoo.

The entrance porch and bell-tower formed the northern end of the building. To the rear were Cloisters, still in existence, looking out onto playing fields. At the time of opening there were 120 pupils with accommodation for 20 boarders.

As the school expanded over the next century, new buildings were added: a two-storey extension to the north of the bell-tower, a new block (1926), a fine assembly hall (1937) and eventually a gymnasium, a science block and an art and craft block.

The school finally closed in 2005.

For more information on the everyday life in the school please visit: www.eyemead.com

Doncaster High School For Girls

The school was designed by J. M. Bottomley and G. T. Wellburn of Leeds and built in 1910. It was built in an Edwardian Baroque style, in an English cross bond utilising red brick and with white faience dressings.

In 1935 the building was altered to a design by T Sydney Athron and E Vincent Dyson, first floors were added to the two wings and the Hall was moved from the ground floor upstairs into what is known as the Waterdale Wing.

In 1971 the school amalgamated with Doncaster Grammar School and was renamed Hall Cross Comprehensive. The building here is the Waterdale location.

The school finally amalgamated with the Boy’s Grammar School to become Hall Cross Comprehensive School and finally moved to a new location. The Girls School has sat empty ever since.