The Vicar of Bramham, the Rev. Robert Bownas, built Bramham House in 1806.
In 1814 it was sold and the new owner gave the house to his son as a wedding present, in 1856 it was again sold to clear up large debts.
For the next 70 years it was under numerous owners. In 1947 West Riding County Council Children’s Department purchased the building and it was to become a family group home to accommodate neglected and homeless children, children from broken homes and experiencing ‘family problems and educational problems’ and those who had failed to respond to treatment for non school attendance within the community. At its height it was home to 37 children of both sexes.
The home closed in the early 1980’s and the children moved to another home in Wetherby that has since closed.