Adelphi Picture House

Adelphi Picture House.

The Adelphi Picture Theatre, a Grade II listed building, was designed by the architect W. C. Fenton and opened as an ‘independent’ Theatre, on the 18th of October 1920.

Built from red brick with terra-cotta enhancements to the main facade, the auditorium was built on two levels, stalls and one circle, with a seating capacity of 1,350 and a projection room at the back of the stalls.

In the late 1930’s it was subjected to some restoration and after incurring bomb damage during WW2, it was closed for a month for further restoration.

After many years being used as a bingo club, it closed again in the mid 1990’s when it was converted into a nightclub and hosted live bands up until late 2006 when the doors finally closed for the last time.